Nestled among vineyards in all directions, with spectacular views of mountain ranges beyond, this new family retreat creates a relaxing destination in Northern California. Spanning over four acres, the compound comprises a main house, guest house, and pool house served by a garage, pump house, garden shed/ceramic studio and bicycle and kayak storage building.
The client desired a timeless and elegant family retreat that fosters an active indoor-outdoor lifestyle appropriate to the site’s mild climate and picturesque setting. The design is a modern take on the local vernacular. With a nod to the agricultural past, the structures are simple barn-like volumes crafted of wood and steel with crisp, minimal detailing throughout. Large operable openings punctuate the volumes and create a strong connection to the landscape and a variety of outdoor living spaces, celebrating this spectacular setting.
Outdoor living spaces complement those inside the house. An outdoor dining area shares a back-to-back concrete fireplace with the living room which is connected to the dining room and kitchen. At the opposite end of the house, the family common area opens onto an outdoor porch with a built-in concrete ping pong table that can double as a large outdoor eating surface. Large, glass pocket doors open to connect the ping pong patio, rear main patio and dining patio to the indoor spaces.
This contemporary family retreat celebrates its unique environment while creating a place that enhances the lives of family and friends with enjoyment for years to come.
- General Contractor: Grassi & Associates, Inc.
- Landscape Architect: Lutsko Associates
- Civil and Septic Engineer: Delta Consulting & Engineering
- Structural Engineer: GFDS Engineers
- Geotechnical Engineer: RGH Consultants
- Surveyor: Albion Surveys
- MEP Engineer: Engineering 350
- Waterproofing: Ferrari Moe
- Lighting Design: Architectural Lighting Design
- Audio/Visual: Plexis Media, Inc.
- Acoustics: Nigel Breitz Acoustics
- Specifications: Pawprint Specs
- Photographer: Art Gray